Wednesday, October 26, 2011

For All Hallows Eve

Once upon a midnight dreary

while i pondered--weak and weary--

over many quaint and curious volumes of old Packer lore,


My mind was quickened my face did glisten as i recalled one never told before.



Twas that night in December that i remember, when joy and frivolity should abound,

and such was the case, til my sisters face, came floating through the opened door


They're dead one and all, I heard them fall, a man has killed my friends and only I

remain to tell the tale of the cursed bell, this last sordid night has been.


The year promised fun, as we went to the Rexburg BY-I

We new not a one, of the horde full of fun, that gathered in that old dorm room.

"the spirit of ricks" came to visit us hicks, on that third floor on night one.

He was thin, he was pale, and he smelt of dry ale. "An older boy likes us! what fun"

He regaled us with story, and promised if only we'd sneak out of our room at half past one

he's show us a time, he'd take us to climb to the peak of the old city hall.


Our foot tracks in snow, should have shown where to go to find the piper's lost girls

as we met near the old hall, fearing the fall, if our foot failed to grasp the right hold.


He took sally first, a blessing! no curse, as they climbed that old crumbling belfry.

And owl gave a hoot, she screamed, what a coot. I'd not be scared, no not I.

And so followed Karen and becky and Sue, they all made their way up the steep wall.

Each giving a scream when they saw whatever thing, lay hidden in darkness above.

When I was alone, a chill reached my bone, when a thick liquid squeezed under the door.

It moved slow, and it looked black, i slowly moved back, as a fear welled up deep in my soul.

For i'd heard no more screams, from my fellow rick's queens, than the one that began the whole show

nor laugh, or joke, no a single one spoke, i feared what evil bound there tongue.

A thud from behind the door, its wood burst to the floor, revealing my sisters' last sleep.

A scream filled my head, my bowels heaved with dread. Run, I must run back to home.


I'd hoped that my flight, would keep me from sight, of the devilish man we'd called friend

but that wasn't the case, he covered my face, muffling the cries for my life.


And with that, she was gone, dissolving in the arms of dear mom. Dad grabbed a gun and his keys,

we called the police, they found the deceased, piled high in the old halls bell tower.

No comments: